1809 - 2017
208 Years of Tullis Russell
Tullis Russell Asia is launched.
First recycled pulps used at the mill.
As part of a £3.5m investment, one boiler at the Power Station is converted to gas.
Tullis Russell becomes employee owned via a buyout.
The acquisition of Revolutionary Adhesive Materials Ltd at Gateshead is made to continue the development of the specialist coatings business.
1st Employee Benefits Trust established.
Coated papers Ltd of Cheddleton is acquired. The company moves from Cheddleton to Bollington in 1989.
Tullis Russell Purchase Brittains Decalcomania Papers in Hanley.
Auchmuty No 5 machine is opened. David Russell expresses his concerns about energy shortages and suggests that Tullis Russell must save coal. He devises a method of continuous working to avoid closing down at weekends and saves 70 tonnes of coal. He is also looking for an alternative to burning oil. Manchester warehouse opens at Trafford Park.
The Russell Trust is created. Tullis Russell joins the Employers' Federation of Paper and Board Makers in February and membership of a trade union is permitted.
Work starts on a Power Station at Markinch. This project is completed in 1914 and the building is enlarged in 1921.
In a report into the employment of young persons and children, R Tullis & Co is praised for its working conditions.
Rothes Mill, the first paper mill in Fife, is built on the banks of the River Leven.